- Member for
- 3 years 11 months
GRAND MARAIS, Minn. — The man who formerly oversaw social services in Cook County has pleaded guilty to two misdemeanor charges stemming from an alleged pattern of child abuse. Joshua David Beck, 40, pleaded guilty to two misdemeanor charges last month in State District Court in Two Harbors, according to court records. He had been set to go to trial later this month.
DULUTH—A judge overseeing the Diocese of Duluth's bankruptcy has signed off on two insurance company settlements that will pump nearly $10 million into the case. The agreements, approved by U.S. Bankruptcy Judge Robert Kressel at a hearing in Minneapolis on Thursday, Jan. 4, will provide almost $9 million to victims of child sexual abuse and allow officials to pursue additional compensation.
DULUTH, Minn.—Two suspects accused of aiding in last year's fatal shooting of a Duluth college student during an alleged robbery can proceed to trial, a judge ruled. In separate orders issued last week, 6th Judicial District Judge Mark Munger upheld felony charges against Tara Rai Baker and Xavier Alfred Haywood in the February 2017 death of 22-year-old William Grahek.
DULUTH, Minn.—The Duluth man accused of a fatal shooting outside a Lincoln Park bar in October 2016 will head to trial next month. Aaron Demetrius Humphreys, 43, faces an intentional second-degree murder charge in the death of 47-year-old Eric Wayne Burns, who authorities said was gunned down moments after the two men were involved in a barroom dispute.
DULUTH, Minn.—The woman accused of serving as the getaway driver for a trio of suspects in the death of a Duluth college student was "adamant" that she was the person behind the wheel immediately before and after the shooting, said prosecutors in a brief filed this week. That contradicts arguments from defense attorneys who are seeking dismissal of the charges against of 23-year-old Tara Rai Baker.
DULUTH, Minn. — A second insurer has agreed to settle its part in a lawsuit brought by the Diocese of Duluth in its ongoing bankruptcy. Fireman's Fund Insurance Co. would pay the diocese $975,000 to resolve claims filed in federal court in June 2016. It is the second of five insurers named in the lawsuit to reach an agreement. The proposed settlement, which must still be approved by a judge, would be used to continue litigation against the remaining insurers with the goal of obtaining monetary damages for victims of child sexual abuse, according to court documents.
HIBBING, Minn.—A Hibbing man who admitted to breaking into a home and sexually assaulting a 5-year-old girl was sentenced Thursday to nearly 12 years in prison. Travis Lee Turk, 29, received the 142-month sentence from 6th Judicial District Judge David Ackerson. He pleaded guilty in October to felony charges of kidnapping and first-degree burglary.
DULUTH — Police officers put in hundreds of hours of logistical training, seeking to sharpen their skills and prepare for any dangerous scenario that might arise in the blink of an eye. But cops tend to spend a lot less time training for their day-to-day interactions with community members, Duluth Police Chief Mike Tusken said.
DULUTH — A second defendant in the slaying of a Duluth college student is seeking to have his case dismissed, while three others want further access to the grand jury proceedings that resulted in first-degree murder indictments. Four of the five defendants charged in connection with the Feb. 14 fatal shooting of 22-year-old WIlliam Grahek appeared in state district court on Monday, Nov. 20.
CLOQUET, Minn. — After a mandatory retirement law forced him from his Minnesota Supreme Court seat in 1993, Lawrence Yetka returned to his hometown of Cloquet. The man who had just spent two decades deciding the state's highest-profile cases went to the Carlton County Courthouse with a request. He wanted to ease the burden on local judges by volunteering his time to hear small claims cases a couple days a week.